Trump Says South Korea Refused to Help With Iran

Watch on YouTube ↗  |  August 17, 2026 at 19:54  |  1:38  |  Bloomberg Markets
Speakers
Donald Trump — President of the United States

Summary

President Trump tells reporters he ordered the Pentagon to substantially cut back joint military exercises with South Korea because South Korea refused to help with Iran. He argues the US spends billions protecting allies who decline to assist and says he wants fairness in military burden-sharing. The remarks touch on NATO, oil transit, and South Korea's past $3 billion annual payment.

  • Trump says South Korea refused to help with what he calls a very easy military operation related to Iran.
  • He says he ordered the Pentagon to substantially cut back joint military exercises with South Korea.
  • He claims the US has 39,000 soldiers in South Korea and spends billions protecting allies.
  • He says South Korea previously agreed to pay $3 billion a year but Biden rescinded the order.
  • He says NATO countries are protected by hundreds of billions of US spending but do not want to get involved in guarding the oil strait.
  • He frames the issue as wanting fairness rather than continued subsidized protection of other countries.
Up Next